The Finance Manager will be expected to operate as the Finance Director (FD) and the Company Secretary of their projects. This role will support the General Manager (GM) of the relevant projects in the effective delivery of the SPV’s statutory and contractual obligations.
Swanley – with travel to project sites as required
Head of Finance - Portfolio
Where a General Manager is responsible for more than one project any reference to the singular should be read as plural as relevant.
Management Services Agreement
- Ensure compliance with contractual documentation, statutory and regulatory frameworks and agreed programmes and procedures.
- Attend monthly management accounts reviews and instruct the Accounting Team by providing the project specific financial procedures and information.
- Instruct the Accounting Team of payments to be made to shareholders and senior debt providers.
- Manage the payment authorisation process.
- Undertake regular reviews of the monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Manage the business planning and operating financial model update process, including presentation to the Board and securing funder approval.
- Manage the key stakeholder relationships including the Board, Funder, account bank, client finance representative and rating agencies.
- Act as Company Secretary in accordance with HCP’s Company Secretarial Handbook, including advising the Board on their statutory and fiduciary duties.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Board report, including the finance report and executive summary.
- Attend Board meetings and present the finance report.
- Manage the tax affairs of the SPV.
- Maintain and update the Projects’ financial and company secretarial policies.
- Advise the Board of risks and opportunities and make recommendations for actions.
- Manage the financial aspects of any project commercial activity (variations, lifecycle expenditure, benchmarking, market testing), ensuring correct reflection in the financial models and the project documentation.
- Ensure the financial model is consistent with all contractual, commercial and regulatory obligations.
- Manage aged debtors and aged creditors and resolution of overdue items.
- Review and approve sales invoices, agreeing adjustments to the UC invoice with the client.
- Manage the statutory audit process and secure approval of the statutory accounts.
- Review the annual operating budget and reconcile to the operating financial model prior to presentation to the Board and Funders.
- Engage the support of the commercial finance team and modelling team on key relevant matters.
- Review the SPV risk register with the GM, advise operations team on financial matters and attend service review and client liaison meetings as required.
- Deputise in the absence of the GM.
- Participate in the development of the finance function, team and systems.
- Carry out other duties that fall within professional expertise.
This job description is intended to reflect, in outline, the responsibilities of the post-holder which may change over time with the Corporate and local business needs of Vercity and the particular PFI contract. It will therefore, be subject to periodic review.
Experience and Competencies
- At least 4 years post qualified experience.
- Experience in communicating, influencing and presenting at senior level.
- Experience working within a compliance focussed environment.
- Ability to identify potential issues surrounding a piece of complex legislation or policy and provide easily understood verbal and written analysis material and advice that is clear and comprehensive.
- Strong working knowledge of financial management and project finance.
- Maintenance of complex financial models using Microsoft Excel
Demonstrated ability to do the following to a high standard:
- Clearly communicate technically complex financial issues, combined with effective influencing skills at all levels.
- Communicate effectively, even when challenged, the reasoning behind an opinion and recommendation with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify and analyse issues and provide expert technical advice to stakeholders.
- Interpret and comply with complex contractual obligations, and develop and apply an expert knowledge of contracts to make sure that others are compliant.
- Present financial information in a professional report style and prepare and articulate any relevant commentaries to a high standard of written English.
- Apply a commercial aptitude and understanding to financial scenarios.
- Utilise various financial software packages and Microsoft applications.
- Prioritise, adhere to schedules and work to tight deadlines in a pressurised environment.
- Present oneself in a manner one would expect from a professional advisor, overtly abiding by a strict code of conduct and striving for high standards at all times.
- Comfortable to share lessons learnt with peer group. • Confidence to challenge others where non-compliance is observed.
- Interact well with colleagues and support the wider team by being alert to the challenges faced by colleagues.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA).
- Current membership of a recognised accounting body.
Please send us your name, contact details, CV and cover letter here.